LC QUESTIONS & RESOURCES
This section answers many of the frequently asked questions, as well as provides many helpful videos and tips to help you have a successful year with NCVA.
I'M NEW TO NCVA. WHERE DO I START?
1. Set up your LC and student OLS account (video below)
2. Organize your learning space (laptop, printer, course materials)
3. Schedule a 1:1 time to meet with your student's homeroom teacher in their virtual classroom (DIBELS, math probe, diagnostic assessment)
4. Complete new student onboarding tasks (attend new student orientation online, read & sign Parent Handbook, complete questionnaire from your HR teacher)
5. Complete the 'Welcome to Online Learning' Course
WHAT SCHOOL SUPPLIES ARE NEEDED FOR THE SCHOOL YEAR?
K12 provides students with all the curriculum materials needed (workbooks, lesson guides, manipulative). Learning coaches may want to make sure their students have the following supplies:
For daily coursework:
*notebooks or paper & folders (to store and organize student work)
*crayons or markers
For the computer/laptop:
For the printer:
*Each grade level will have specific novels to purchase for upcoming book studies. The book lists can be found on each grade level tab under the documents section. For additional questions about these studies, ask your teacher.
*Additional supplies may be needed for specific lessons or experiments based on the grade level.
WHAT WILL A NORMAL SCHOOL DAY LOOK LIKE?
1. Create a schedule that works for you and your student (similar to a brick and mortar setting)
2. Attend live class connect sessions that appear on your student's Daily Plan in the OLS
3. Complete the lessons on your student's Daily Plan
4. Catch up on any overdue lessons on your Daily Plan
5. Log in at least 6 hours a day of attendance/coursework
*Sample schedules provided below in the document section
WHAT IF MY STUDENT NEEDS TO MISS A DAY OF SCHOOL?
First, let your teachers know your student will miss class. Just like in a brick and mortar setting, your student will need to make up the missed work, class connect sessions, and hours. The student can watch the class recording after the live session takes place, and complete the lessons from the Daily Plan missed. Lastly, log in the 6 hours missed over the next couple of days. *Students must have at least 30 hours a week logged in their OLS account.
WHAT IF I EXPERIENCE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM?
For any technical issues that arise, call k12 technical support at 866-512-2273.
Technical issues include: problems with the microphone or laptop, program installations, Blackboard Collaborate, or logging into the Online Learning School site (OLS). *See microphone set-up videos below
BESIDES THE OLS LESSONS LISTED ON MY STUDENT'S DAILY PLAN, WHAT OTHER ASSIGNMENTS WILL THEY NEED TO COMPLETE?
Most of the assignments/lessons students are to complete are in the Online Learning Platform (OLS/OMS/OHS), but at times there will be additional sites or teacher-created assignments for students to complete. For example:
*Manually log in PE and health hours (end of year expectation is 90 hours of PE and 40 hours of health)
*Time spent in Stride (additional website part of k12 for elementary students)
*Time spent in RazKids (additional website, *specific grade levels in elem.)
*Quarterly Interims- once per quarter
WHAT ARE THE ASSESSMENTS MY STUDENT WILL TAKE WHILE ATTENDING NCVA?
1. Diagnostic/Growth measure assessments (NWEA) *all on-line
2. Quarterly Interims- once a quarter *all on-line
3. Unit Checkpoints in OLS in coursework *all on-line
4. End of Grade/End of Course (EOG/EOC) Assessments- **In-person at an assigned location, day, and time at the end of May. Testing details will be emailed closer to the date. **REQUIRED for all students in 3rd-12th
5. Beginning of Grade (BOG) Assessment- **In-person at an assigned location, day and time in September. Testing details will be emailed. **REQUIRED for 3rd grade students only
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET A LOANER COMPUTER?
You will contact your student support advisor to make the request and complete a Household Income Verification Form (form is found below in the document section). The request will be submitted, and you'll be notified of your qualification status.
HOW DO WE WITHDRAW FROM NCVA IF WE CHOOSE ANOTHER SCHOOLING OPTION?
You will contact your student support advisor to notify her/him of your request to withdraw. The advisor and parent will both complete a separate withdrawal link to confirm the request. When both links have been fully completed, the withdrawal will be processed. *Please have the name of the school your student will be attending or your Homeschool ID number in order for the process to take place.
OUR FAMILY HAS MOVED. HOW DO WE CHANGE OUR ADDRESS IN THE SYSTEM?
You will need to send proof of residency (lease or utility bill with new address stated on the bill) to our registrar, Laura Zuber, at the below email address.
HOW DOES MY STUDENT SIGN UP FOR A K12 CLUB?
K12 offers many on-line clubs. Please check out the club list and sign up using the below link.
OH NO, MY INTERNET IS DOWN AND I AM UNABLE TO LOG INTO THE CLASS CONNECT OR OLS TO COMPLETE WORK. WHAT DO I DO?
There will be times you experience technical issues (problems with OLS, Balckboard Collaborate, Wi-fi, etc..). During these times, please work off-line in your course materials and log in the daily attendance and work completed when the technical issue has been resolved. For further details, see the below engagement plan:https://www.k12.com/content/dam/schools/ncva/files/student-continued-engagement-plan.pdf
WHAT DO I DO IF I AM MISSING MATERIALS FROM K12 OR RECEIVED DAMAGED MATERIALS IN THE MAIL?
First, please check with your student support advisor or content teacher about the course materials you are missing. Some courses do not have physical materials, but rather are on-line. If it is determined you are missing a book or if you received damaged materials, you will call k12 customer service at 866-512-2273.
HELPFUL K12 VIDEOS
K12 offers many tutorial videos to help you navigate through every step of the virtual experience. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions. The link below has many more videos to choose from.